Make a donation to the helmet campaign on CAR-FREE.ORG. It costs just $10 to protect a child’s head.
Tom Reese and his grandson Chris Billiard got new helmets tonight. Tom is the DJ for the Save the BBC North Block Party June 9th. In return for his services he is taking Traffic Skills 101 and will have a Bicycle Library Bike. Chris becomes a Bronze BBC Member.
The Bethlehem Bicycle Cooperative (BBC) is open for Members and Guests every Thursday from 5-9pm and Saturday from 8AM to 4PM. We are located at 14 West Raspberry in beautiful, downtown Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
CAT members using BBC Tools with mechanic assistance:
- Scott Slingerland tightened the headset on Steve’s bike. Scott also put on a new front derailleur cable and adjusted the derailleurs.
- Chris Billiard put a spacer in his rear wheel to stop his chain from chewing through his frame. He also replaced brake cable.
- J. Reisenberger put a new used derailleur on his Lemond road bike. Scott noticed J.’s headset was loose. J. looked around for a rack to put on his Surly but couldn’t find one someone else hadn’t laid claim to.
- Gene Hunter adjusted his derailleurs and brakes under Lee Poole Smith’s guidance.
- Lee started to change out his grips but decided he didn’t like the new ones he just bought.
- Scott helped Liam put a kickstand on his bike and adjusted his rear light for maximum visibility.
Chris Billiard and his grandfather got new helmets. Chris learned some things about why he might like to wear his helmet.
J. explained to Liam how his brakes would take longer to work when it rains. Liam displayed his new road rash proudly although he admitted he cried when it happened.
Chris Billiard and his grandfather Tom Reese started the course. So did James Kinlaw.
Tom Reese went through bike sizing and fit, plus starting and stopping & basic skills. Then he and Scott Slingerland rode over to the SteelStacks Farmers Market where Tom won a ticket to the Banko Alehouse Cinema.
James Kinlaw got a helmet fitted by Lee Poole Smith. He learned how to do a quick safety check before each ride from Steve.
Scott talked to Chris Billiard and his father Chris Billiard about putting a front brake on his BMX bike which has only a rear brake. Chris junior suggested and Scott seconded the idea and gave some facts about how important a front brake is to stopping a bike.
Bike Library Activity (See what’s available now!)
Scott Slingerland adjusted the rear derailleur and the rear brake on the Schwinn Cross-fit bike being used by Beatrix Watt
James Kinlaw started training to qualify for a Bike Library bicycle. He worked with Lee Poole Smith to properly fit his helmet. Steve checked the GT Tequesta mtn bike for proper fit. Steve gave James a great cable he can use to lock the bike through both wheels and a shop lock. Joshua Buck put a kickstand on the bike. James had to leave before he could go for a basic skills ride.
Tom Reese started training to qualify for a Bike Library bicycle.
Pat Corpora brought back two bikes he borrowed for friends visiting to ride on the towpath. The Giant Nutra hybrid had tires that were too old and one of the tires had blown out. Joshua changed the tires. Pat also brought back a Trek 820 hybrid also.
Liam de Camp brought in his mongoose for a kickstand. Joshua tried to put a kickstand on, but we couldn’t find one that fit this small a bike. Scott Slingerland conducted a safety check of the bike and tightened the headset.
New & Renewing Members:
Lee Poole Smith gave his new grips to the BBC. He didn’t like the way they would change the look of his bike.
Janneke Bos brought in her son Liam and her daughter Gwen Earlier in the day, Janneke went for a walk on the Monocacy Way with Steve Schmitt. They checked out the new bridge that is done just in time for the Monocacy Way 5K Run to benefit CAT programs to encourage local trail use.
Chris Billiard, Sr. and Jack Billiard came by to pick up Chris Billiard, Jr. Steve explained the program to Chris Jr.’s Dad.
League of American Bicyclists certified Cycling Instructor(s) on duty:
- Steve Schmitt
- Scott Slingerland
- J. Reisenberger
- Steve Schmitt
- Lee Poole Smith completed his written test to attend the LCI seminar in Bethlehem, this June.
- Joshua Buck changed the tires on a library bike.
- at 5PM it was overcast & raining, 63 degrees, 83% humidity with the wind from the NW 6mph
- at 6:30 69 degrees, mostly sunny, wind 8 mph from the NE and 87% humidity
Use any credit card to join online right now.
Become a Bronze BBC and use our Park Tool Set from 8am to 4 PM any Saturday! Become a Silver or Gold BBC member and enjoy our Bicycle Library See information about Membership levels here Would you like to volunteer to help on Thursday or Saturday at the Bethlehem Bicycle Cooperative? Write the Volunteer Coordinator. Today, the BBC is sponsored in part by Google, Genesis Bicycles and Apex Management .