Bethlehem Public Works Department installed Bikes May Use Full Lane Sign and Shared Lane Markings on the Fahy Bridge in response to recent incident in which a motorist hit CAR-FREE.ORG Advanced Mechanic Instructor, Frank Pavlick. See more about that story and the viral video on the Bethlehem Police Blog,
The Bethlehem Bicycle Cooperative (BBC) is open for Members and Guests every Thursday from 5-9pm and Saturday from 8AM to 4PM. We are located at 14 West Raspberry in beautiful, downtown Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Weather Today: 60-70 degrees and sunny!
CAT members using BBC Tools with mechanic assistance:
Lee Poole and Scott worked on a nice 60cm Cannondale R500 road bike, overhauling the rear hub, replacing the shifters.
Gary Lader and Scott adjusted hubs on the Bianchi bike.
Cody Silliman did some emergency work on his rear wheel. Visiting with him were his twin brother and another young man with a bike.
Cody Silliman came in at the last minute and did some emergency work on his rear wheel. While he was here he had a discussion with Steve Schmitt about wearing a helmet (Cody does not). Cody admitted the very best BMX riders do wear helmets.
- Traffic Skills 101
- Gary Lader went on a traffic skills ride with LCI Steve. First he learned to start and stop properly. Then a ride on the basic skills course atop the North Street Parking Garage enabled Gary to familiarize himself with his new Bianchi hybrid. Practicing his emergency stop, Gary learned his new bike was quite different from his usual ride. Two new skills Gary picked up were standing to pedal up hills and downshifting before stopping at red lights and stop signs to make it easier to start up again.
- Basic Bicycle Mechanics
- Julie Vitale mounted a rear rack and a rear sty kickstand on a mountain bike.
- Advanced Bicycle Mechanics
- Lee Poole overhauled a Cannondale road bike.
New & Renewing CAR-FREE Members Today:
Selene Yeager, the Bicycling Fitness Chick writer, renewed her annual CAT membership this week online. You can, too, by visiting our JOIN CAT page.
- Gary Lader
- James Kinlaw
- Lee Poole Smith
- Julie Vitale
Bike Library Activity:
- Gary Lader came early in the day to check out the Bianchi bike. Gary went on a traffic skills ride with Steve over the Fahy bridge before taking it home.
- Julie worked on the Silver Specialized to prepare it as her daily commuter.
League of American Bicyclists certified Cycling Instructor(s) on duty:
- Steve Schmitt
Do you want walkable communities, more bicycling & better transit? Join CAT Today
Use any credit card to join online right now.
Would you like to volunteer to help on Thursday or Saturday at the Bethlehem Bicycle Cooperative? Write the Volunteer Coordinator. Today, the BBC is sponsored in part by Google, Genesis Bicycles and Apex Management .