The Bethlehem Bicycle Cooperative (BBC) is open for Members and Guests every Thursday from 5-9pm and Saturday from 8AM to 4PM. We are located at 14 West Raspberry in beautiful, downtown Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
CAT members using BBC Tools with mechanic assistance:
- Kelly Kennedy checked her bike out under the direction of Scott Slingerland. Scott helped her tune it up.
- Steve Schmitt added a stem extension to his Library Bike (Scott and Andrud did most of the work). Frank Pavlick checked things out with a test ride.
- Julie Vitale changed her carrying crate.
- Scott Slingerland is always improving his bike
Andrud went on a ride with LCI Steve Schmitt down to Sand Island and out on the Lehigh Canal Towpath. He learned that trails are much less safe than roads to ride on. Because trails have no rules, the many types of users can be surprising and even the creators and stewards of the trails can not keep trails as safe as roadways Andrud learns to slow down on trails, expect the unexpected and yield to pedestrians.
Scott Slingerland, Kelly Kennedy and Julie Vitale took a destination ride to the CVS on 8th Avenue. They picked up some odds and ends for the BBC like toilet paper and also some medication for a BBC member with allergies.
Andrud learned about stem construction from Scott Slingerland. He also learned about cleaning a drive train and re-lubing it. He worked with Lee Poole-Smith on several library bikes, too. After Frank Pavlick came in the mechanic lessons got more advanced.
New & Renewing Members Today:
Kelly Kennedy (Bronze BBC)
T. Stephen Nicholson (Police Officer for Forks Township and League of American Bicyclists certified Cycling Instructor) renewed his CAR-FREE.ORG membership
William Kvcitz donated a lively GT mountain bike.
Steve Lidie donated a Schwinn WorldSport road bike.
John Ward & Evan Gill donated a child’s bicycle & used helmet.
Several gentlemen in a truck dropped off a bike without signing in or accepting a receipt.
Justin Reagin came in and talked to Steve about becoming a member of the CAR-FREE Bicycle Libary.
Meghan LaVerne, who used to canvas for CAT door-to-door, is interested in joining CAT as a Bronze Member and to have us help her take care of her bike.
Bike Library Activity:
Lee Poole-Smith, Andrud Morales, Scott Slingerland and Frank Pavlick worked on several bicycle library bikes. One was a retro 3-speed. As usual Lee did some fancy reflective tape work on this bike converting a section of the rear fender originally painted white to a colorful design with highly reflective red tape.
Retro bike before and after Lee Poole-Smith worked his magic with reflective tape.
League of American Bicyclists certified Cycling Instructor(s) on duty:
- Steve Schmitt
- Scott Slingerland
- Lee Poole Smith did a million jobs as usual.
- Ron Teodoro vacuumed and organized the entire shop.
- Andred Morales (Liberty High School Community Service Requirement) is learning to be quite the mechanic.
- Julie Vitale was Board Member on the spot. She made tea, talked with everyone, did some work on the Monocacy Way 5K Run, and generally kept everybody happy.
Would you like to volunteer to help on Thursday or Saturday at the Bethlehem Bicycle Cooperative? Write the Volunteer Coordinator. Today, the BBC is sponsored in part by Google, Genesis Bicycles and Apex Management .