The Bethlehem Bicycle Cooperative (BBC) is open for Members and Guests every Thursday from 5-9pm and Saturday from 8AM to 4PM. We are located at 14 West Raspberry in beautiful, downtown Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
Tonight was an exciting time in Bethlehem’s Bicycle Heavenness.
The WDIY radio show “Lehigh Valley Discourse” radio, hosted by Arnie Lichten, featured CAT members Janneke Bos-DeCamp, Meg Buck, CAT Director, Steve Schmitt, Bike Director, Scott Slingerland and Head Mechanic, Frank Pavlick joined Bethlehem Police Commissioner, Jason Schiffer. The group discussed bicycle heaven in Bethlehem and beyond and other related topics.
Muriel, Lane, Dave and Pierre – a group of four touring cyclists from Philadelphia rode in from Delaware Water Gap (35 miles) with Bike Director, Scott Slingerland. Along the way, the quintuplet negotiated mountain passes, headwinds carrot juice and minor mechanical malays. The group discussed a cyclist’s lane position approaching intersections, optimal diet for long-range biking, front derailleurs, eye health and existentialism.
CAT members using BBC Tools with mechanic assistance:
- J. Reisenberger
- Lee Poole-Smith
- Steve Schmitt
- Scott Slingerland – Scott replaced his creaking pedals to preempt a catastrophic pedal failure.
- Lane (one-day) – Lane filmed for the upcoming documentary he is producing for his Phila peeps.
- Muriel (one-day) – Muriel added reflective yellow striping to the sides of her bike, and a yellow reflector to supplement her rear red reflector/taillight
- Dave (one-day) – Dave worked hard repairing his rear flat tire, caused perhaps by loading his touring bike with all the cargo weight over his rear wheel.
- Pierre (one-day) – Pierre experimented with route mapping on his new I-Phone app. Bethlehem to Phila = 53 miles
- Basic Bicycle Education
- Traffic Skills 101
- Janneke and Scott rode to WDIY radio together. Steve and Meg rode to WDIY radio together.
- Basic Bicycle Mechanics – Dave learned how to change a flat tire. Muriel and Lane worked on Muriel’s front derailleur.
- Advanced Bicycle Mechanics
- Cycle Safety Assessment
New & Renewing Members:
- Dave donated ___ for a tube
- Lane donated $10 for a set of Mr. Tuffys
- Meg, Josh and Judah Buck
- Janneke Bos-DeCamp
League of American Bicyclistscertified Cycling Instructor(s) on duty:
The LCIs had a lively discussion about the new bicycle law.
- Steve Schmitt
- Scott Slingerland
- Lee Poole Smith
- Aubrey and Jessie
Become a Bronze BBC and use our Park Tool Set from 8am to 4 PM any Saturday! Become a Silver or Gold BBC member and enjoy our Bicycle Library See information about Membership levels here Would you like to volunteer to help on Thursday or Saturday at the Bethlehem Bicycle Cooperative? Write the Volunteer Coordinator. Today, the BBC is sponsored in part by Google, Genesis Bicycles and Apex Management .